25 March 2015

CGQ Bead-style Log Cabin Quilt (Progress)

I cannot believe the progress we made on this quilt top last week! These little offset log cabin blocks are fairly time consuming, finicky blocks -- especially when so many different machines and workers are involved -- but last week the quilt top nearly doubled in size in a matter of hours. 
We are making a few adjustments to the plan as we go along, specifically, deciding to center all the beads into a top much like what's pictured above rather than having the rows of beads running off the top (using partial beads). That's cutting down the size a little, and cutting down the number of blocks to make, but I think it was the right decision for our group. This means we'll be able to assemble the top as a group, rather than handing all the finished log cabin blocks off to one individual, which seems like a much better way to proceed at this point.

I have one more block to make -- our checklist said we were doing it all right, but somehow we wound up one purple short and one orange too many -- and then it's on to the next steps. I think we'll end up with a total of 3 extra log cabins, so if I make two more blocks that would give me a whole 'circle' to use on the back side to dress up the backing just a little. I am looking forward to seeing what we come up with.

Working on quilts with a group is very different, but I love the challenge and the community of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment