10 March 2015

Scrappy X+ Block Update

I almost can't believe I'm about to say this, but I think I'm finished making scrappy X+ blocks for this quilt top! I don't think I'm done working with this block -- though next time I think I'll choose something a little bit more methodical and a little bit less wonky than I let myself be for this quilt.

Even though all my blocks need a going over with a hot iron and trimmed down to square again, the moment I finished my last block I had to see them all laid out together.
I didn't put any energy into choosing a layout, I just put them down and snapped a photo. That's kind of an encouraging thought, because I don't see too much that would have to be rearranged if I wanted to start sewing the top together right now. Oh, I'm sure I'll play around with it a little more before I decide on anything, but it is nice to see that there's enough going on that random placement doesn't look too bad. I do see a couple blocks that might require re-sewing -- I'm really hoping the top right block looks off because it's not square on the ground, not because I managed to sew it that wonky!

I haven't been too hard on myself about finishing things up -- but I really want to push myself to get some things finished in the next few months. It feels like it's been ages since my last real finish and it's time to get some crossed off the list before life gets in the way for real!

I had hoped this one would be fairly gender neutral, but looking at all those florals and berries and cupcakes and pinks and purples, I'm wondering if this isn't a little more 'girl' than I'd intended. I can pick out some less specifically girly prints, but I'm just not managing to convince myself it's 'neutral' at all. What do you think? Neutral acceptable scrappy fun, or a very eclectic scrappy 'girl' quilt?

No comments:

Post a Comment