29 March 2015

Quick Patchwork Top

I intended not to start anything for the baby until I had other projects to a certain 'breaking point' but... I busted through that intention already.

I would like to say I got so excited about this that I just couldn't wait to start. Not quite true. I'm still too worn out for actual excitement. Really, I just wanted to accomplish something, and all my other projects are in the million-hours-to-go stage where progress feels turtle speed or slower. One block to show for three hours of work? Not tonight. Tonight I needed lots to show for less than two hours worth of effort.

I've had some Autumn Woods (Kate & Birdie Paper Co. by Moda) sitting in my precut drawer for longer than I want to admit to -- and tonight seemed like the perfect night to pull it out and see if I could accomplish anything in the amount of time I had set aside (two Daily Shows and half a Fresh Off the Boat).

A few minutes of patchwork layout play:
which is still not my strong suite, but I think it turned out alright. I wish the charm pack had come with a couple more yellow prints -- five wasn't quite enough -- but overall I'm very happy with how this layout came together.

A little bit of quick sewing -- made quicker by the painter's tape seam allowance guide still on my machine for working with the CQG log cabin beads blocks:

And within the designated time period, I wound up with a completed quilt top.

The critic in me says that I should have cut down the yardage print piece a little bit more for proportion's sake -- but I love that print and couldn't bear to lose any of the grey/tan sky. So, the sentimentalist in me is telling the critic to shove it! And that little proportional issue aside, I am thrilled with the top. The colors aren't quite as bold as my flash makes them look, the patchwork layout picture is probably more true to color, so it's a muted beauty, things I usually don't work with -- but I'm loving it. I'm also thrilled to make some real progress instead of a few nit picky steps on a bigger project.

A run through with the iron and it'll be ready for basting -- I already have a fairly matchy grey/orange/yellow print ready for backing. This one might be in the contender's list for my fastest finish -- at least in terms of actual work time. Woohoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment