13 April 2012

Working...


My first attempt at a plush toy for Baby C. 


It looked more proportional on paper and before I sewed it and turned it. The trunk needs a bit of adjusting (higher on the head, bigger around) and I'm leaning towards making the legs a little longer.

I did stuff this one - even though I knew it wasn't going anywhere.


The stuffing makes it even more obvious that the legs and trunk need some work. The rear leg stuffed alright, but the front one is a little funny - and of course that skinny trunk was nearly impossible!

The ears and tail look pretty good. I had planned to add eyes, but at least with this fabric, I like the eyeless look.

The finishing detail - hand stitching - needs more work too. My attempt at an invisible seam looks more like a battle scar.


It puckered as I approached the curve. I don't know if that was because I was nearing the end of my opening, or if it had to do with the curve. Or lack of experience. Would I be better off moving the seam to a straighter area (like above the ears) or somewhere more hidden (between the legs?).

My last attempt at a plush was a project someone else started and I was supposed to finish. My attempt at invisible seams basically destroyed the fabric - and was a major reason behind cutting the elephant on a bias.

The legless dino
The legless dino
This solution to the invisible seam problem isn't a possibility this time (unless I rework the whole shape of the elephant) and I'd really rather learn to do it right! 







Since I was unhappy with the finish on the dino, she's still hanging out in my office instead of with the new owner I'd intended her for. I really should find a better way to finish her up (including some eyes and a mouth) and find her a better home than my scrap fabric shelf.


2 comments:

  1. What type of fabric are you using?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far I've been working with inherited fabric, probably cotton. I'm toying with trying it in flannel, if I ever get a chance to sit down and work on it again - it's been a crazy week!

      Delete