23 June 2012

Pinterest Challenge: Red Velvet Cinnamon Rolls

If something has "red velvet" in the title, there's a good chance my husband will go crazy for it. With that in mind, when I saw a pin for Piece, Love, & Cooking's Red Velvet Cinnamon Rolls I knew these would be in my future.

But, I'm also a very lazy cook. And that recipe looked full of things I don't have on hand (buttermilk, vinegar, food coloring). I eventually found a recipe on making cinnamon rolls from cake mix. That fit better with my kitchen.

So, I mashed the two recipes together into Red Velvet Cake Mix Cinnamon Rolls.

1 box red velvet cake mix
2 packages yeast
4 cups flour (3.5 might have been a little better)
2.5 cups hot water

Mix dry ingredients, then add water.
Mix and knead until smooth.
Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top of the dough. 


Cover and allow to rise for 45 minutes. Feel free to use this time to clean every bit of red off the white counter top.


After 45 minutes, punch it down a little. Split into two halves and allow to rest for 10 minutes. Roll the dough into two 10x14 rectangles. Or shapes that fall somewhere between rectangles and ovals. Your choice. 


Spread the cinnamon/sugar/butter mix over the top. I started with 1/4 cup butter and added cinnamon and sugar until I was happy with the consistency and taste.

Roll, starting at the long side. Cut into slices. I got 12 from my first half and 15 from my second, but my end pieces were all 4 a little skimpy. I don't mind various sizes, especially when I'm trying a new recipe, so that worked for me.


Place in greased 9x13 pans (two). 



I left mine an inch or so apart so there was room for expansion. (You can also see I used too much flour when I was rolling out the dough.) Cover and allow to sit for 20 minutes. Feel free to use this time to clean every bit of red off the white counter top. Again. 


This is also a good time to pull the ingredients for the frosting out of the fridge. 

Run across the yard with a pan in each hand to the neighbor's house to use their oven. Oh, just me?

Bake for 10-15 minutes at 400.

Let them cool 10-20 minutes while you look at houses online make frosting. 

8 oz cream cheese, room temperature
2 cups powdered sugar
Cinnamon
Vanilla extract

The original recipes call for a stick of butter in the frosting. I've never done that, so since I'd forgotten to get it out of the freezer, I didn't today either. It still tastes good to me!


Bring one to everyone around you for taste tests.

My husband: "Fantastic!"
My mom: "Next time, use less flour and bake a little longer, but acceptable."
My brother: "I'm not trying that."
My dad: "Maybe later."
Momo: Attempts to lick the frosting off the ones left on the counter unguarded.

And me? If I was rating them on a 1-10 point scale, they'd be a 6. I like the flavor, and if they are a little 'gooey', I like the texture. The biggest drawback is the amount of time that went into making these. If I make them again, it'll be for a very special occasion, like a birthday or Christmas breakfast - though I'd make them the night before instead of getting up a 4 a.m.

I did end up with a lot of rolls, so we'll be freezing them and eating them every weekend for the rest of the summer. Somehow I think my husband won't mind! 

No comments:

Post a Comment