06 June 2012

Procrastination Quilt

In an attempt to avoid doing anything productive, I started another quilt a few weeks ago.

I wound up with an odd number of squares. After playing with some fabric scraps and various layouts, I decided the best solution to completing my top as I envisioned it was to add two additional squares of fabric in more or less the same color story.


Unfortunately, the time between picking my layout and finishing my top proved I could use a great deal more practice. I should have been a bit more particular about the placement of the yellow blocks - which seem to stand out more than any of the others from a distance. I did manage to keep each block in order, and each row in order, but some of the rows were attached upside-down. I didn't notice until I was taking these photos - which both proves I need more experience and that probably no one else will notice either. I'd planned for the two additional blocks to be as diagonal across the top from each other. Disappointingly, they wound up in the same column (row as the quilt top is held in these pictures).


As annoying as that is, it wasn't my biggest issue.


I ironed and re-squared each block as I worked. I locked my seam allowance. I pinned each piece until it couldn't possibly travel. All that work - and it still wound up a little wonky. Again, it's possible no one else will notice - or at least not from these sunset pictures - but it was incredibly frustrating to spend so much additional time aiming for square and missing in the end.

As I'm looking at these photos, I have to add that should have used cream instead of white - or dyed the white down since I was trying to use fabric from my stash. I don't think I'll be picking it all apart to fix any of these issues, even if I really ought to. Well, there's still time to play with it, washing, gentle dyes, or maybe quilting with colored thread.


All that said, I still like it.

1 comment: