12 December 2012

2012 Holiday Digs

I dug out the winter decoration bin over the weekend and got to some decorating.

I'm still on the search for the tree I want. I was beginning to think it's the kind of thing that exists only in my mind - until I saw one last night at the hardware store. Unfortunately, it wasn't for sale (it was only a display for selling things) but at least I know it exists!

But, until I get my hands on the right kind of tree, I've got to be a bit more creative.


This is pretty much the center of our holiday decorations this year. Once upon a time - before my husband and I were engaged - we walked past a free desk outside someone's house. The desk was already split into two parts - one set of drawers, and one set of drawers with the top still attached. So we carried it the four blocks home, into the garage, and straight onto a tarp for painting. With the addition of two little legs and some cream colored paint, the part with the top went on to become a desk (usually called "Momo's Desk" and used either for a sleeping cat or any time I need to use the old Singer sewing machine). The smaller piece got a bold paint, some new handles, but has always been sitting around waiting for a top to be found for it.

I'm still looking for a top, but for the holidays, this cutting board is working fairly well.

On top of the cutting board sits a few ornaments (mostly serving as cat deterrent) and our major Christmas decoration.


With the exception of that large red bag, all the presents we have to give away fit inside the two drawers. Which keeps them out of sight, out of reach of most of the cat hair, and the little jingle bells on the handles keep us honest when it comes to snooping.

Sure, it doesn't give me a way to display our ornaments, but it's simple, fun, free, and I like keeping the bags and temptation out of sight. Whether I find a tree or not, I think I might continue to use this idea of drawers as a base.

No comments:

Post a Comment