08 December 2012

Angel Food Apple Cake

I've enjoyed the angel food cake + fruit cakes I've made in the past - so when I saw someone try it with apple pie filling, I knew this was going to happen. The sooner the better.

It's the same as ever: 1 box angel food cake mix, 1 can of pie filling.

Because the apple slices were so larger, I debated putting the apples through the food processor first. Ultimately, I was too lazy. The larger pieces were a bit tricky to mix with the cake mix, but nothing too complicated.


Slight golden color to the exterior...


White and fluffy - around slices of baked apple - in the interior.

As for the taste? I liked it, more than the berry versions I've done in the past. It was certainly the right flavor for Thanksgiving season. I did still wish I'd chopped the apples into smaller pieces though. My husband wanted to know if it was a different brand of cake mix than usual (no) because he thought the contrast between the tart/cinnamon of the apple and the sweet of the cake was too great.

So, one fan, one on the fence.

But the biggest problem came the next day when I went back for another slice. There was no slicing involved. The left over cake was beyond moist, beyond damp, and can only be described as wet. I hadn't anticipated it needing any more overnight care than the other versions, so I had only covered it (as I have with all the others) and left it on the counter top. Disappointingly, it was beyond saving.

I thought the flavor was good, and it's still just about the easiest thing to make, so I think I'll try it again. But with smaller apple pieces. And I'll try to use more than two slices on the first day, just in case I haven't figured out how to keep it overnight.


No comments:

Post a Comment