14 December 2012

More Machine Quilting

It's been ages since I've done anything with the Jungle Blocks Quilt, but between the upcoming end of 2012 and the beginning of Christmas movie season, it's a great time to work on some machine quilting.

One movie to size the batting out of two fairly large leftover pieces and to baste the layers together...

One movie for the quilting and unpinning...

And here we are:


It's a little challenging to see the quilting against the busier fabrics of the front - but I went with mostly straight lines. The distance between the lines is fairly random, although I started out with a more measured plan. Measured lines just weren't looking quite right with the wonky blocks, so I let them get a bit more random.


Although I'd intended to make something a little more special out of my two remaining coordinating fat quarters for the back, let's face it, it just wasn't happening. I went a bit simpler and pulled some orange/white dot fabric from my stash instead.


It's much easier to see the quilting against the simplicity of the back. I tried to rotate the quilt, so I didn't get too many lines stitched in one direction together - which I hoped would keep the back from pulling too much. There's obviously a little pulling, but I'm hopeful that will relax a bit once the quilt is washed.

Now to come up with some binding. I'd been intending to use a soft orange - but now that I went orange on the back, I've got to come up with a different plan. Between the mainly brown front and the mainly orange back, I'm beginning to think about blues, aquas, or greens. My stash is low on yellow, but that's another option. I have a feeling finding binding is going to mean another trip to the fabric store.

And as much as I want the excuse for another trip to the fabric store, I also may hold off on the binding until I have a recipient for this one. As much as I love it, it's going to be for someone else and I might want to save that last bit of worry for when I know who to be thinking of while I do it.



No comments:

Post a Comment