31 December 2012

Doodling

When my Christmas trip plans fell apart, I went right out and bought some new fabric to play with. What can I say - it doesn't take much to turn gas money into fabric money at this house! 


Rather than going wintery or Christmasy, I grabbed a layer cake of Noteworthy - and could hardly wait to cut into it!


I didn't really have a plan - though I did have a photo for inspiration. I really just cut off a certain amount of two corners, then re-attached them as best I could. There must be more of a trick to it than that, because despite using a template, a cutting board, and a ruler I still wound up with some unintended wonk to my blocks!


I wish I'd been a bit more cautious in picking what fabric went where, and I wish I'd stuck to my initial plan of avoiding the most text heavy pieces. They don't look bad, but they aren't quite as cute when cut up! But to get the size I wanted, I really needed to use each of the blocks that came in the layer cake - something I didn't learn until I was nearly finished. That made squeezing the text heaviest blocks in a bit more of a challenge, but I think it all worked out.


It didn't take me long to stack and whack the pieces, nor to piece the top. And for once I managed to keep each block in the position I planned for it! I think that's a new record.

I don't have good pictures yet - these short, short days don't offer much opportunity for taking photos, but I'm hoping to get some better light tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment