28 August 2014

Shinier... If Still a Mess

I spent most of last weekend just being grateful for the time off - and now that I'm back in the heavy and hard swing of the week, I'm all the more grateful for the time I had to get a few things done around here before life got so intense again. I didn't manage to accomplish everything I wanted, but I did get a lot done - in many 5 intensive increments pieces between tons of other, less interesting stuff.

So, here's where I am today.

Office:
  1. Finish the 2011-2013 photo book
  2. Shut down the old computer for the last time
  3. Put old computer parts into storage/reuse piles
  4. Move the new computer in the computer nook
  5. Temporary new computer area now becomes sewing storage 
    1. Trying to decide if this will work or if I want to go back to the temporary way. It takes me a while to adapt to changes, even changes I'm in charge of deciding to try, and I'm still going back and forth on whether I like this or not. One of the great things about having my own space right now is that I can rearrange as many times as I need and no one else is impacted.  
  6. Rearrange base cabinet storage
  7. Clear off black baker's rack (currently holding batting, books, and stuffed animals) and remove from office
  8. Sweep and mop all floor
  9. Move cedar chest and place lamp in corner of office
  10. Rearrange/purge in closet so there's storage space for computer parts as needed
  11. Begin re-hanging art and spool storage as needed 
Kitchen:
Former fabric storage baker's rack is new pantry space
  1. Swap old gas stove for newer electric (big project, in progress)
  2. Move trash and litter box* to temporary homes
  3. Bring black baker's rack from office to kitchen
  4. Swap pantry items, bookshelf items into baker's rack
  5. Take pantry (a small armoir style desk) and bookshelf out of kitchen (possibly to office?) 
  6. Put litter box where old pantry was
  7. Begin re-hanging art
  8. Find home for trash can!!! -- Still floating around the middle of the kitchen. Very annoying. 
  9. Consider painting revealed wood panel wall??
  10. Invest in a larger, corner style litter box
Bedroom:
Dresser rearranging - more drawer than ever before

  1. Empty white dresser onto bed
  2. Move white dresser to other side of bed
  3. Empty childhood dresser at parents' house
  4. Move childhood dresser to my side of bed
  5. Refill with my stuff
  6. Empty Greg's dresser into white dresser, overflow into childhood dresser as needed
  7. Determine we have to get another cat hiding spot before we get rid of now empty dresser
  8. Start shopping 
Other: 
  1. Attend local quilt festival? 
  2. Attend family reunion
  3. Cook something for family reunion
  4. Laundry
  5. Get some quilting done! 

Obviously there's still a few major steps waiting to get done, or minor things that feel major. The trashcan issue is just one little piece, but it is throwing the whole kitchen into disarray. Aside from that, the new pantry area is working really well - though I'll have to dust a little more than I used to - and even having the litter box in the kitchen seems to be working out (no accidents since we brought home the corner unit anyway).

One of the biggest issues is finding a new cat power spot for the bedroom. Momo does really rely on being able to hide under the dresser we're ready to give to my parents in exchange for my childhood dresser. I hate to remove something he relies on so much. On the other hand, he also has been using the chairs on either side of the dresser as scratching posts (every single night) and I am ready to do just about anything to put a stop to that (even if it means giving away two of my very favorite chairs). The two issues alone aren't huge, but they do feed each other and wind up pushing us towards a large, cat centered purchase (or possible diy) very, very soon. I for one am tired of waking up to the sound of claws shredding velvet style upholstery.

All apparent progress aside, I haven't done a thing around the house since Monday morning final touches on the pantry area. It could use another couple days off of attention, followed by daily maintenance. I know the last few weeks have gotten me out of the habit of daily housework,but I have got to get back into it. 






* Why is there a litter box in the kitchen? Good question. Despite that very expensive clean bill of health we got on Momo last week, things are not all good in the litter box department. Unfortunately, we learned this after he chose the least water-proof area of our new flooring to use instead of the box (leading to that part of the flooring floating more than we'd like and 'thunking' back into place every time it's stepped on. I'm hopeful it'll dry out and be okay... removing enough flooring to try to do anything there would basically require redoing the entire living room. This is why you want to attach your trim all the way around the room instead of assuming it's okay 'floating' in a couple places where attaching it is harder). Since there isn't room in the guest bath for his litter box, the only place left with old laminate flooring is the kitchen, so we've all been adjusting. I don't think anyone likes it, but it's a lot easier to clean. 

No comments:

Post a Comment