20 August 2014

Stress = New Project

There's something about being under a lot of stress in my regular life that makes me crave something new to work on, something with less rules and strict guidelines than any of the projects I ought to be wrapping up. Sometimes straight lines and rigidity is a relief, but sometimes, I've just got to do something more wonky and creative and immediately rewarding.

So, I set aside the strips of Greg's quilt - which desperately need 12 more hours of work - and reached for a pile of scraps I started cutting last time I was trying to sort through my stash. I had initially planned to make a scrappy X and Plus quilt (something like this or this), but in my attempt to find scrappy pieces large enough to cut the biggest pieces from, I manage to miscalculate and miscut every stinking big piece by about half an inch. Frustrated, once I'd realized that, I set the pieces aside and walked away for several months.

Well, last night I had the itchy fingers to work on a new project -- and not the ironing two of my practically new projects are calling for - so I broke out my mistakes and went for it anyway.

When these first two were sitting on my desk, I absolutely hated the lighter one - but from across the room -- maybe four feet -- I like it better than the other, louder, block.

I promised myself I could stay awake for one hulu episode of a television show, and let myself sew that whole time.
And here's where I stand at the end of the episode. Five strange little blocks done, and a burning desire to go back through my stash in search of a few more quieter fabrics to add to the mix. My big blocks area  lot of greens, but I think I want to add some more soft pinks (maybe now is the time to use the pink skull fabric?) and some blues if possible (my stash is very low on blue). I think it could also benefit from a little more yellow - and I know I have some of that to spare.

I have no time line and no plan, except a general idea to add more variety to the blocks, and I'm going to leave it that way. I think I may just pick along at this as I find time and scraps large enough. Then again, it may be that this kind of more creative, more 'whatever' project is all I'll be able to stand for the next week or two. Whatever.

That's the phrase of the season. Whatever season began in mid-July and isn't ending any time soon. I don't have the physical or mental energy for perfection -- part of why I'm not pushing myself to work on projects where perfection matters, like our two quilts -- and I don't see that getting better any time soon. I rarely know what work will bring, but the last week has been more that way than I expected, and I know the next few weeks are going to be terrible as well. I'm just trying to hang on.

I'm also pretty happy that I managed to turn on my machine again. I do love the process and it's been too long since I set aside the time to get in here and do something. I've got to remember how happy it makes me, not just how much work it is to get everything set up in the middle of the chaos.

No comments:

Post a Comment