07 May 2012

New Sewing Machine

Well, new to me. 

My parents took me Craigslisting a couple weeks ago and wound up getting me this birthdayChristmasEasterThanksgivingWhatever present. A Kenmore sewing machine. With 150 built in stitches ranging from letters and numbers to repeating patterns, animals, and several hemming/edging stitches I can't wait to play with.

The learning curve has been steep. Threading the needle requires four additional steps compared to my other machine, and I've got to adjust to a drop in bobbin. There are a lot of moments when I'm quite certain this new machine is smarter than I am. But. I'm working with it, nearly every night, and I think I'm going to like it.

I was most excited when I learned that I could drop the feed dogs on this machine (I can't on my Singer). Unfortunately, attempting to figure out how to sew without them has been my biggest struggle yet. But I'm determined to figure it out. Even if I have to dig out my VHS player and open the (never watched) VHS that originally came with the machine!

Unfortunately, the machine came with this little sewing desk. Which is too small for me. Both for me to use, and for me to sit at. I think my knees wind up somewhere inside that little drawer unless I'm careful. So, anyone want a sewing machine cabinet?

No comments:

Post a Comment