24 May 2012

Bagging


With several birthdays and the end date for adding to Welcome Baby C Package coming up in the next two months, I've spent my nights stitching up bags as quickly as I can. 


This huge, lined elephant print bag is headed to Baby C. I made it intentionally large with the hope that it'll temporarily hold the two hooded towels. After that? Well, it's a little large for carrying around - except as a pool/beach type bag - so I don't know that it will get a lot of use. If I were planning to keep it, I'd probably use it as a laundry bag for socks and such - or cut it down a bit to use as a farmer's market bag.


Most of the small bags started as a reason to use some pre-cut fabrics I had in my stash - remains of fat quarter bundles and some abandoned projects I picked up on craigslist and garage sales. The two larger bags, in animal print and giraffe print, are also headed to Baby C. The exteriors coordinate with the Wonky Stacked Coin quilt (which I'll be revealing in full soon). I'm crossing my fingers the bags and quilt will at least semi-coordinate with Baby C's nursery - green and brown from what I've been told.

A few of the larger pre-cuts from my stash were turned into something a little more than drawstring bags with the addition of some handles.


The blue/brown bag started as a squat drawstring bag, with the addition of a single long handle. It's a little too wide for me to comfortably carry. With no interior pockets, it's more likely to become a library bag, shopping bag, or a snack bag for road trips than a purse. I had intended it to function as a gift bag as well - and it might yet - but first I'm giving it some gentle use to see what it's capable of and if it'll work as I want it to for giving away.

Immediately after finishing my fight with the brown/blue bag, I started on this pink/green. Did I need another bag? No. But I had the precut fabric to use, and I was determined to correct some of the issues I'd had in the blue/brown one. 



With two handles instead of one, and some interior pockets, this one happily functions a great deal more like my favorite purses. Again, this one is receiving some gentle use while I make up my mind if it's worthy of being given to someone or if it's only another draft to be kept while I keep fighting bobbin tension and pattern making to come up with something more worthy.







No comments:

Post a Comment