28 May 2012

Pinterest Challenge: Mini Chicken Pot Pies

Since I can't stand most of the foods my husband likes (casserole, anything with gravy, steak and potato kind of dishes) I make an effort to regularly make one of his few favorites that I don't mind: pot pie.

For the last two years, I've been making a large batch pot pie that's a little more like chicken soup and biscuits than a pie.



A 9 x 13 full of it. It doesn't take long to make once the chicken is baked, but it's not something I have the time or energy to make on a normal week night.

So when I spotted a Pin for Mini Chicken Pot Pies, I knew it was something we'd have to test drive.

After a false start or two - involving biscuit dough on the ceiling, and floor, and both of us - and a trip to town to pick up some new biscuit rolls, we finally got down to the serious business of making and eating these.


Much handier size, wouldn't you say? And much faster.

I hadn't thought to use Herbs De Provence in pot pie before - but I will be doing it again no matter which version I'm making. It was a delicious improvement over the garlic/Ranch powder I've been using.

I didn't think I was overfilling my biscuits, but several of them overflowed onto the muffin pan, which eventually led to the smoke detector going off as extra precious filling wound up on the bottom of the oven.

Smoke detector and messiness aside, these were delicious and easy - and something that I could fit into a weekday schedule. It's also straight forward enough to follow that I'll be adding it to the recipe notebook for my husband.*




*He's the better cook, and more interested in cooking most of the time - but cooking for a picky eater (me) is difficult. As a compromise, I write down recipes that are easy and something I'll eat so that if he's the one with energy to cook, he can pick anything from the notebook and make it. And if he cooks from the notebook, I'm not allowed to complain (even if I'd rather have something else).

No comments:

Post a Comment