30 October 2012

Finally More Machine Quilting Done!

It's been a while since I've done any work on my Procrastination Half Square quilt. It got basted and then it just sat around waiting for me to find the right tension settings to get some machine quilting done.

Honestly, I'm not sure I managed to find the right settings. But when I had a clear bobbin ready for a new color of thread, I went for it anyway.

 


It's hard to see in either picture, but I put two wandering "organic" lines down each stripe of white. 

It's a little easier to see the quilting pattern on the reverse side of the quilt: 


I like it, but I'm wondering if I ought to do a little bit of quilting inside each box. The half-squares are just over four inches square, so it's a little iffy as to whether the quilting is close enough together or not. Since free-motion isn't happening on my machine yet, I'm fairly limited in what I can put inside each square. I'd better double check the guidelines on my batting to see if I'm close enough or if I need to figure something else out.


I used a light green thread that intentionally doesn't quite match the green dotty fabric. I did have some that matched better, but I wanted the lines to really show up, even on the green.

I did have one fairly major biff:


The back must not have been pulled tightly enough when I was basting, because I wound up with this extra bit of fabric - which I didn't learn until after quilting. I really don't want to pick out those lines of quilting - and even if I did I'm not sure it'd be enough to make it right. So, again, I'm faced with making it right (even though it's more work), or letting it slide (since it's only going to end up staying with me).

Quilting issue aside, I think the quilting really added something to it. Maybe I'll try another picture of the top tomorrow morning - I've been told repeatedly that morning light is the best time for taking pictures, and maybe that will be soft enough to show off the work without completely whiting it out.


No comments:

Post a Comment