22 October 2012

Salvageable? Or... Not?

I've got a couple of projects I've been keeping to myself because they're somewhat tragic-looking. You know, the kind of thing I've been trying to convince myself to give up on. I'm not much of a quitter though, so as much as I am embarrassed to be sharing these, I'm going to do it with the hope that sharing them will help me find a solution other than giving up.

Ready? 

Go!


Full disclosure:

This is my first eye-spy/patchwork attempt. It's also for a family who spends a lot of time hiking/camping, and who won't be finding out the gender of their newest addition until the birth. So, the plan was to try a new-to-me style and to go with outdoorsy but not gender specific colors/prints.

I got a few steps into it and realized I didn't like it. To the point that I think I've only referred to it as 'patchwork project' or something equally nondescript. Actually, I'm not sure I've actually admitted I'm working on it at all. It sat on my work space for months. Every time I sat down to sew, there it was. Reproachful.

I picked it back up last night.


The parts I did last night (the first four columns, starting from the left) turned out much better than the ones I did earlier. But I'm not sure that's saying much. Actually, the first five columns aren't so badly sewn. I think the right most two columns are horrible. I don't know why I thought offsetting the patches was a good idea...

There are a few options for attempting to salvage it.

  • Cut the right most two columns off 
    • Either ending up with an 8x5 (odd size, and I don't have much left of these prints)?
    • Or then adding the right-most back on (thus removing only the most offset one) and ending up with an 8x6?
  • Cut the right most two columns off, and one or two rows as well. Redistribute the blocks from this cut off to make new rows/columns - aiming for something nearer square ?
  • Cut it up into disappearing 9 patch style (or something similar)?
So, clearly I have a few options for continuing to work on it. Which means that my real question is not can it be saved, but should it be saved?

Do I dislike it because of two (or three) poorly done columns, or do I dislike the way the fabric looks together? Or is it something else completely?

If it's only because of poorly done columns, it's certainly fixable. If it's because of the fabric or the size of the patches, it becomes more difficult to salvage - and less worth the effort of doing so.

I don't expect to love every project I work on - and I know there are always ups and downs in a creative process - but at what point does that lack of love indicate a stinker of a project that should be put out of my misery?




1 comment:

  1. i think it's the sudden yellow input on the rightmost columns plus the fact it's suddenly decidedly not quite lining up. The yellow with the white beside it, right next to the red that's surrounded by the dark greens, just looks slightly "strange" to the eyes.

    If I were carefree and interfering, I'd consider trying to take up both of the last right columns, and flipping them 180-degrees, so the top right-hand, became the not-quite bottom right-hand one, and see if you like it better that way. The current next the to the most rightest may just plain continue to bug you.

    (better yet, you can do it in your photoshop or paint to approximate if you may like it or if it'll drive you more crazy, darling friend - thus potentially saving scads of time and frustration)

    You could just put a border on either side if you need to have a certain

    ReplyDelete