05 February 2013

HEA Progress!

I love working under pressure.

That's probably a little wrong, but I really do. I'll intentionally procrastinate just so I can really cram at the end - and I enjoy it. Not every minute of it - I mean, I do still stress over it - but enough that I keep doing it to myself. At just about every aspect of my life.

And that is why I'm honestly amazed I've already bound Happily Ever After Quilt. With one month of possible work time left, I'm a wash and a dry away from being completely done (assuming all goes well).

Yes, I wound up buying a solid black for the actual binding. I really wanted to go with the same fabric I used throughout the body, but I just could not convince myself it was sturdy enough even on the bias to be the right call for that.


Pre-wash, it matched a little better. But it smelled so strongly of dye that I knew I had to wash it. And sadly, that did impact the color a little.

Did you notice the pink thread?


It's hard to get a good picture, but I did sew on the binding with a pink/purple/aqua color change thread (the same gray in the bobbin though, so it matches the back quilting). I think it makes it a little more fun without being over the top -  though it disappears a little more than I'd hoped.

And that went so well, I got a little crazy after all...


This was my first of three (so far??) and a little rough, but I think it does add a little something to it - in a good way.


Especially on the back.

I'd still like to go through and do a few more - but it is a difficult process that requires shifting a lot of the quilt around repeatedly. It doesn't take much of that before I start getting sore.

It's amazing how something like a few feet of fabric can wear on you after an hour or two of wrestling with it! It also makes me even more nervous about how I'm going to finish those denim scrap quilts I've been putting off... Those are way heavier than this one. Guess I'm going to have to start stretching and weight lifting a little more! 

Assuming we get some light tomorrow morning, I'll recruit a couple helpers to hold it up so I can take a few pictures of the whole thing before it goes in to the wash. Since weekend plans were put off thanks to the flu (not here, thankfully), I was able to keep the sewing machine in the living room for a few more days, but I'm ready to have life here back to normal. The sooner the quilt goes through a wash/dry cycle and assures me it doesn't need any fixes, the sooner I can rearrange my house to the way it belongs!


It gives me goosebumps in the best possible way. I can't wait to give it away - though I do wish there were a way to just drop it off and run... Guess that's proof I am shy as well as an introvert!


No comments:

Post a Comment