07 February 2013

Valentine

Inspired by a pin of Kelby Sews' little wall hanging, I did a little pre-Valentine's Day sewing/quilting.


The inspiration piece is fairly scrapy, with each letter of the word 'love' in a different color - which I loved. 


I didn't think about the idea of paper piecing - actually, I didn't even click through the pin to the source - I just grabbed a few favorite scraps in favorite colors, my scrap of remaining white material, and went to town improvising. 


I ought to practice this kind of sewing a little more. There were a few too many attempts at angles that turned out to be exactly backwards of what I wanted... That said, eventually I got it all pieced together more or less how I'd envisioned. 


Since it was the perfect size, I backed it with the third piece from my Aunt (here are the other two pieces from her), added a thick scrap batting, and did just a little bit of quilting. 


I debated doing a little more, but ultimately I liked the simplicity of outlining the letters. A little left over binding and it was ready to hang. 


I may have danced around the kitchen squeeing for the next hour or so. Fortunately, my husband (an artist) understands the happiness when it comes to finishing something that turned out 'right.' Unfortunately, Momo didn't quite appreciate my enthusiasm. 

This also signaled the end of my winter themed decorations - I put away the snow flakes and the snowmen, and the last of the Christmas decorations. February will be mostly hearts and love elements (no surprise there). After that I'll be pretending it's spring - although right now it already feels like it is! - with flowers and the like. 


No comments:

Post a Comment