04 February 2013

Mini Quilts

When I first began expressing interest in learning to sew or quilt, my great-aunt stopped by the house one afternoon with a bundle of fabric, several magazines and books, and two blocks and a mini quilt. I never really had a plan for the quilt blocks - besides examining them from the back side, seriously, she's amazing - but after a couple years of moving them around the office/sewing area, they've started to ravel at the edges.

I still don't have a real plan for them, but I hate to see them getting worn down like that - so I turned my attention to finishing one of the blocks and the mini quilt with a back, some quilting, and binding left over from previous projects. This also allowed me to use up some larger scrap pieces I didn't know what else to do with for the back pieces. 

First: 


I wasn't particularly inspired to quilt this one, so I just added a line of quilting on each side of the horizontal seams. It's not easy to see the quilting on either side, but especially difficult on the back. That's not all bad. 

Then I got to work on the mini quilt, which was more fun. 


I don't know how she made these little pockets - but I like it! 


I didn't want to intrude on the little pocket corners, so I used the corners and seams as guides and in lined the shapes. 


The back is a leftover piece of vintage sheet (from my Giant Star Quilt sheet collection), which went pretty well with the floral print. Not bad for a random stash choice! 

I'm mostly grown up, and I don't take my American Girl doll out too often these days, but when I do, I think this little quilt is going to go on her bed. It just seems so much like a sweet little comforter - especially with that quilting. 

I've still got one quilt block left, but I'm not ready to turn it into a mini quilt yet. I think I might try making a few more blocks to coordinate with it, but we'll see if I come up with anything else. 


No comments:

Post a Comment