18 September 2013

To Go With the Math

I've made a couple mentions of the amount of math I've been working on recently - as well as showing off a couple of test blocks to go with that math. Well, I probably should double check it again before sharing this, but I think I've got the entire plan worked out... Probably...

Because I was very heavily inspired by a quilt with an available pattern, I don't feel right sharing the details of the equations I attempted to make my inspiration work with the fabrics I have on hand. (I'm limited by working with layer cakes as my largest pieces, rather than larger pieces that would work with the available pattern.) After several days of failures and re-trying my math, I'm finally at a point where multiple tests assure me that what I've worked out (with help from an engineer and a math teacher before I got it right), and I finally feel like I can share a rough Paint draft version of what I'm hoping to accomplish.

My goal is to use a fairly simple pattern (now that I've got the math worked out), the collection of Reunion pre-cuts I have in hand, and some dark grey solid to make our bed two matching approximately single-person-sized quilts. We're utterly unable to share a blanket - Greg calls me 'burrito woman' and I think he's just as bad! - and I'd like to have blankets that coordinate a bit more than what we've been using for the last few months years.

The largest pieces will be the same on each (though the layout may not be the same), but I can't promise the mid size and smallest pieces will be the same. I should have enough pre-cut fabric to make two quilts, each with 35 blocks (as shown above), plus a border of the dark grey at each edge (ideally, the blocks would be centered left to right, but with more grey at the top than the bottom - something I haven't quite finished the math on, but you can kind of see above as well).

I also should have enough scraps left over to make a couple coordinating pillow cases. I'm thinking something like this:
Although the actual piece will use a greater variety of scraps than this illustrates. I'm still trying to figure out if I should stick with the simple 'bag' like version or go for an envelope close or something a little more polished looking.

So, that's kind of the plan at this point. I'm hesitating on doing any cutting, probably because I'm still afraid I'll be wrong on the math and at this point I'm not sure there's any fixing it if I make a mistake and run out of Reunion fabric...

At some point, I'll have to figure out the binding (which I haven't made any kind of plan for yet, though I'm thinking a coordinating solid green or solid navy) as well as something for the backs, which I'm planning to be very different. I think at least one of them will need a thicker fabric panel between the 'knee height' and the bottom edge, the place most likely to wear out.

No comments:

Post a Comment