16 September 2013

Wonky Runner??

I mentioned a while back that I basically got a charm pack of free fabric on my birthday (thanks to a coupon, I am not cool enough to just have free fabric arrive on my birthday). Well... it didn't take me long to begin to question my choice of fabrics - especially since the theme (Halloween) isn't really something we do around here...

On the other hand, the colors and cute/spooky prints are something we totally do around here.

When I caught a glimpse (thanks Pinterest) of these adorable wonky blocks using the same fabric, I knew I wanted to do something very similar.

I took out the word prints, leaving me with some monsters, spiders, dots, stripes, and other fun, slightly spooky, but not specifically Halloween-y prints - and got to work making some kind of wonky blocks.

I cut all my charms even smaller - into 2.5 inch squares.

And pieced them together mostly randomly:

And auditioned them with the leftover fabric from last winter's major project.

Then I got around to the actual process of making my wonky blocks - which turned out a little something like this:

And then came the point of figuring out what to do with my blocks... After rejecting the idea of some very little quilts (I could have made 3 cot size quilts with very little additional effort)

I ultimately decided to make a runner for our bed.

Okay, yes. I did just say a runner for our bed. That's exactly the kind of thing I think quilters make when they've run out of things to make. And... yeah... it's true. My 'give a quilt as a baby present' stash is way overflowing, and I really don't need another sofa quilt (at least not until I have somewhere to store the ones we aren't using at the time instead of piling them all on the floor near the sofa). But I also kind of need a runner for the bed. After utterly giving up on duvet covers (for now), we've been folding up the king size comforter and leaving it at the foot of the bed - which means it's turned into Momo's latest bed. Which is fine... but furry. So, I have managed to convince myself that I should make some runners to sit on top of the comforter and keep the cat hair off. Or possibly make runner sized duvet covers that holds a folded comforter. Or some other excuse.... 

And so, at the moment, we're looking at a little top something like this:
I didn't quite use every little block I made - I held out a couple to do something else with (or so I think right now). But now I'm facing another problem: I'm not sure how to finish it!

Ideally, I'd like to come up with a 'reversible' option for the other side, so this is useful during times of the year we're less interested in purple/orange/green/black... but I haven't had any luck yet and I'm beginning to feel like I'm running out of time if I want to use this runner on the bed this season.

I guess I'm off to search Pinterest and my quilting books for more inspiration - wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment