24 December 2013

Little Finishes 2

I know I have a couple quilts I ought to be making progress on - and I'm very aware of all the books waiting for my attention yet this month - but really I'm just picking away at a few little projects and accomplishing very little. I feel like I haven't yet recovered from my Thanksgiving vacation - and it's nearly Christmas!

Now that I've officially reached out on finding a home for my Semi-Sampler quilt, I had a few leftover little scraps that were just crying out to be turned into something to go along with the quilt. One extra fat-quarter of grey fabric later, and a little bit of time, and I am ready to install closures in two coordinating bibs.
The patchwork-y bib used a few scraps from recent projects, including the quilt I'm trying to coordinate with as well as a few other projects. The other is just a large scrap of the text-heavy print that I used on the back of the quilt. They've been stitched to some terry cloth - so far I prefer to use pieces of towels rather than terry cloth fabric I could buy by the yard - and even have a little top stitching (most noticeable on the patchwork one) to finish them off. I wanted to get a little more finished without getting to fussy.

Now I have a pile of about six waiting for closures, probably snaps. I'm not particularly gifted at installing snaps, so I often make a pile until it feels worth it to dig out the tools. I suspect I also need to pick up a few more snaps before I get started. But these bibs - unlike the others I have on hand - do have a 'due date' so I guess I'd better move that up the priority list.

Oh - and although I did follow a pattern for both, they do look very different in size. I guess following directions is still something I should be working on!

The other little finish I have to share is really late... but again, it needed just a little more fabric - and the scraps left over from these bibs turned out to be perfect for my needs!

I have a couple more four-blocks of favorite prints left over from the 'October' side of my bed runner project, but these four black and whites were just screaming to be made into a tiny pillow cover. I won't be stuffing it until next year when it's ready to go up - though I think I have a little pillow it'll just fit over - but I'm pleased as punch with how the fabrics worked together.

Honestly, I wish I knew a little more about this little fat quarter I picked up. It's been amazing to work with and the perfect texture/color for so many little projects, it seems like I ought to have more of it... But all I have left is a tiny scrap to add to the scrap heap. I'll be keeping my eye out for more though!

No comments:

Post a Comment