24 February 2014

Bursting

While I'm still not certain just which set of parents-to-be will be getting this little multi/mini starburst quilt, nothing is stopping me from making more blocks. In fact, I think I have blocks cut to make far more blocks that I am going to use in this one. Guess that means I've probably got another in my future sometime soon!

Over the weekend I spent an evening working on two more bursts.


The largest of the 'bursts began with 4 inch square blocks, and wound up around 21 inches square when finished - significantly larger than my previous blocks.

The fourth and final 'burst (I think) (for this quilt anyway) is about the same size as the smaller two. 
While the 'field' color on this 'burst is darker than any of the other three, the print itself is similar, so I think they still coordinate a little. 

Each of the four bursts has a completely different center block: one pinwheel type block, one a single piece of a contrast print, one a small square on point, and the largest one is actually kind of a pineapple (I think that's the right name) - not that it's noticeable since I used the same fabric for each layer. While subtle even in person, it looks a little more like a rose blossom or something, probably thanks to the pink fabric. 

Since I am trying not to get carried away on this one - even though it's clearly a little too late to hit the breaks on this train - I went a head and test drove a couple of different layouts for the top. My favorite so far relies heavily on my remaining scraps of pink (with a little aqua) batiks and tonal fabrics. 
I'm tempted to see if I can swap the top two stars/background pairings - so that the bright pink background would be diagonal from itself rather than over/under. While this layout works fairly well, it looks a little lopsided to me - what do you think? 

A little quick and dirty copy/paste work illustration: 
Hmm... I think it's a slight improvement - even with the orphaned bit of background hanging out alone. Whew! I figured I'd need to try to make it the raspberry almost-solid print or the other batik for flow, but it doesn't look bad as illustrated above (well, the reasons it looks bad have little to do with the way the fabric is laid out), so I think it's going to work! 

I was up way too late playing around with this - but the last few months of trying hard to be an earlier to bed, earlier to rise, grown-up kind of person haven't changed the fact that my most creative and energy filled hours tend to be between 9 pm and 4 am. I stayed up until 2 for the first time in months - and while I suffered a lack of sleep headache, I got so much more accomplished than usual. I have got to find a way to rearrange my schedule so I can take advantage of these hours!

Speaking of - I'd better get back to sewing! 

No comments:

Post a Comment