25 February 2014

Starbursting Top

It didn't quite turn out how I'd planned - a couple errors I decided to embrace rather than rip out - but I'm pleased to say that the top to my collection of star burst blocks is done.
I think this picture is looking a little more saturated than reality. I know I say it every time, but this one really has been a challenge to photograph ever since I added the raspberry almost-solid fabric. Prior to that it wasn't unmanageable but ever since I've really fought to have the colors turn out close to real at all.
This second picture is a little less in focus - but I think the colors might be closer to true.

Either way, while the plan wasn't to be intense, it is a little over the top on the pink/purple scale. Pink isn't my favorite color, but it's probably no surprise that I am loving this slightly-psychedelic little quilt. Fingers crossed that it'll end up with people who are equally enamored with it!

I made a quite scrappy back to go with it and spent a good hours basting it tightly.
I'll be working again with poly batting, which so far has tended to creep just a little bit more than cotton. I hope I've basted tightly enough to avoid having any major crawling or folding of the fabrics. Since I hope this one is a gift, I would have to fix any quilting issues instead of blowing them off and putting it in a 'maybe I'll need this someday' pile. Stitch ripping is not my favorite thing to do, so I hope the extra hour or so of pinning will help me side step any issues that might require ripping.

And now to decide how to quilt - and quickly, since every last one of my pins are in use at the moment -- not all in this one though! I'm leaning towards straight lines - even though I know it's not my strong suite. Then again, I loved the programmed scallop stitch I used here. Maybe I'll check through my machine's presets again to see if there's anything else that could work. Big loops would be ideal - but I think that's more a free motion type thing, something sadly still beyond me and my machine.

Whatever I decide, looks like I'd better put away all the tempting fabric pieces and focus on actually quilting for a while if I want to make any progress!

No comments:

Post a Comment