28 February 2014

Quilting on 'Burst


I'm stopping mid-plan to take a few photos of my work so far on the mini/multi starburst quilt. Right at this breaking point, it is very lightly quilted. My goal had been to do quite a bit more, but I'm growing concerned that too much quilting will keep it from draping nicely.
It's challenging to see the quilting, but so far I've gone with lines of my machine's preset scallop-ish pattern running in one direction across the quilt. It's not very dense - but my little test scrap got stiff quickly, and I am worried that quilting it as heavily as I'd initially planned will reduce some of the cuddle-ability of the quilt.

I pushed on until I could safely remove the basting pins. Now I'm taking a bit of a breather to regroup and rethink. I'd initially planned to do a lot of quilting to make the stars show case a little better, but now I'm wondering about simply going across in another direction with the same preset stitch. It would be a little more 'boxy' than I wanted (even with the scallop-y lines rather than straight), so I'm not set on that idea, but I think it needs a little more than I've done so far.

Oh - I did remember to grab a picture of the very scrappy back this time!
I think I warned you it was a little intense? Most of the pieces are scraps from either this project or others I've worked on in the last couple months - the central panel was specifically chosen from my stash, and the black/floral in the bottom left was a larger scrap I've never used that just happened to fit my opening. It is intense, but I think it's fun too. I wish I had a little more of the central panel fabric, but I used half of what I had for this - so I imagine the remainder will someday be part of another very scrappy quilt back. I'd hate to chop it into any smaller of pieces!

This went quickly, but I just feel like it's not done yet. I'm going to call it a night and think on this for a couple days. I want to compliment the blocks, and do a little more so it feels slightly more finished - but I'm so hesitant to over quilt and end up with something more suitable as a wall hanging than a baby quilt!

No comments:

Post a Comment