03 February 2014

January Wrap Up & February Goals

January Goals: 

Read 5+ books
  • "Protector of the Small: Lady Knight" Tamora Pierce
  • "Elementary" Edited by Mercedes Lackey
  • "The Inheritor's Powder" Sandra Hempel
  • "Song of the Lioness: In the Hand of the Goddess" Tamora Pierce
  • "Circle of Magic: Briar's Book" Tamora Pierce
  • "Song of the Lioness: The Woman Who Rides Like A Man" Tamora Pierce
  • "Push" Sapphire
Finish 2013 cross stitch portrait - Barely even started 
Ship 2 packages by January 15

Quilt Goals:
Cut sash for our quilts - Nope. I'm not even sure where this fabric is. I think I'm self-sabotaging this one. Gotta get on it or we'll be completely over them before they're done and I'll be furious at the waste. 
Get photos of Happy Go Lucky finished quilt - Blinding snow + wind + temperatures below twenty do not make for great photography moments. So... while it is done, I think I'm going to have to wait on a little bit of spring to arrive - and it sounds like that won't be any time soon. 
January mini quilt for hanging in the kitchen

Pinterest Challenges
1+ non-food
1+ food
2+ outfits for my fashion challenge: (one) - and one more worn, but not yet processed at all... 

Okay, truth be told - I think I did fairly well for the first two weeks of January, but recently I've kind of hit a wall. Work has been taking more time and energy than I'd like, and there are other currently-secret projects taking up time and energy too (no, not pregnant), but even when I have time to do things, I'm just not feeling it. I spent two hours Saturday morning, and more than four hours Sunday afternoon trying to work on various quilts - and accomplished nothing. Well, I refolded my stash of fabrics - but that wasn't really what I was trying to do. 

I'll probably get into it later this month, but long story short - both work and those projects I'm not currently talking about are all requiring more energy than I've got. As a shy introvert, it's sometimes hard to have enough 'deal with people' -- even for people I like -- by the end of the day. Right now, I'm running on very low reserves, and I think I've been pulling pieces of stored energy from everywhere I can - which means all the happy energy I had for working on my starburst quilt just got sucked away and warped into 'make this phone call' energy. And twice in January even that wasn't enough. Fortunately, after finding me crying (because asking for help is not my strong area), my husband stepped in and managed some of the issues that were challenging me. 

Anyway, I'm feeling a little burned out. So, I think I'm going to take it easy in February. I'm going to keep my formal goals very simple. If I manage more, that's okay, but I'm giving myself permission to take a 'winter break' and give myself a chance to recharge. I'd hoped to wait until March and take a real spring break, complete with a mini-vacation, but it turns out that's already out of the cards. 

February Goals: 
Read 5+ books
Third Fashion Challenge Check-In
Work on the 2013 Cross-stitch portrait
Piece at least 1 starburst block
Relax

Looks good. Unfortunately, I know that I need to add three difficult phone calls and at least two very difficult meetings to that list, which makes the goals above seem like a mountain when they're supposed to be the reward for climbing the mountain!

It's early, but I'm going to bed. Life will look better in the morning.


No comments:

Post a Comment