17 February 2014

Xs and Os - Charmed Update

After finishing the top, I started calling this quilt Xs and Os instead of 'charmed' - perhaps because of Valentine's Day? - and it seems like a better name for it.

Finding fabric to go with it, for backing and binding, has been a challenge. After two dismal searches on my own, I stopped at a different fabric shop when Greg was along - and it was snowing - so he came in with me.

In all fairness to him, not only is he good at choosing fabric that works together, he helps me with it more often than I let on. And he says he doesn't mind, but I know walking through the fabric store with me isn't the most interesting thing, so I try not to make him come too often. I also try to go to places he likes, Game Stop and the local woodworking places these days, even if I am absolutely no help to him while I'm there. 

Within about three minutes of walking in, he'd zeroed in on the fabric we ultimately left with. After a quick pre-wash (not something I always do, but something I do always do when the fabric feels stiff with dye), I pulled it out of the dryer and figured the least I could do is take a photo of the two together.
I think it's going to work well. I'm a little nervous about quilting on it. I think I'll have to go with a light top thread and a darker bobbin thread - my usual snow white would be very high contrast on that brown fabric. I still have almost a whole spool of color-changing brown thread that might work against the brown fabric - but mixing the two kinds of thread makes finding the perfect tension an even bigger problem than usual.

Seeing the two together, I am feeling hopeful and a little bit excited about moving on to the next step. I might just baste them together while I've got the space cleared off. Then again, I might make a little quilt so I can test drive thread tension. Only time will tell - but at least progress is being made!

No comments:

Post a Comment