07 January 2013

Flannel and Rectangles

Last time I talked about this yellow and pink quilt


I grudgingly admitted it's existence, questioned what to do with it, then went back to more-or-less ignoring it.

Well, it doesn't have a recipient in mind yet, or... much else going on... but I decided it was time to get to finishing it.

Add some remnant batting, some pink and yellow flannel (super-sale priced at $2 thanks to a store remodel sale), and more pins per foot than I've ever used:


And it's time to quilt!

I'm not particularly skilled at the actual process of quilting. Some of that is lack of practice/skill, some of it is probably limited tools/work space. I have occasional dreams of learning to free motion quilt, or having enough income to pay someone else to do it, but for now I keep plugging away with what I've got.

This time I went with fairly unplanned, intersecting/overlapping rectangles. It's hard to see the quilting against the fabric, even in person. The back is so busy, the quilting practically disappears - despite being a very different pattern - and the front isn't much better. But, hopefully you can see a little here:




I think the lines are close enough together to suite the demand of the batting (4-5 inches). I'm still debating adding a few more rectangles, but maybe I'm over thinking it...


I took these photos on the same day I took the photos for Jungle Blocks [bound], which meant having one quilt over my shoulder while I took photos of the other. It was not the ideal time to be taking pictures - freezing cold, overcast, and about to start snowing 20 minutes later - but I can say that this quilt is significantly warmer than Jungle Blocks. Flannel really does make a difference! 

Next up is binding. I'm thinking about turning the left over flannel into a non-bias binding. I know it'll add a little bulk, but I don't want to introduce another fabric/pattern to this one. I think I have just enough left to manage, but if anything goes wrong I guess I'll be shopping for another pattern after all! 


Oh, and even though I didn't end up cutting it up or doing much of anything 'more special' to it (like I'd discussed last time) it's still growing on me. The flannel helps a lot. What can I say, I'm a big fan of flannel. The other quilt I talked about at the same time (previously known as the ugly patchwork) has also grown on me, and is now usually going by the much better 'camping patchwork' title. I feel like I've been unfair to both those quilts - turns out they weren't so bad, they just needed a little more time and effort on my part! 

No comments:

Post a Comment