18 January 2013

My 12th Quilt: Zoo Square

First, the technicalities: 
1. I realize my last shared finish was my 9th. This is the problem with my 2010-2012 numbering system of assigning numbers at the beginning instead of the end. As of 1/1/13, new quilts will be numbered at the finish. 
2. Quilt 10 is Happily Ever After, Quilt 11 is finished but waiting for a reveal, Quilt 13 is the Camping Patchwork - also finished and up to be revealed later this month (it was my first finish of 2013, 45 minutes after midnight on New Years Eve/Day). 
3. Quilt 12: Zoo Square was technically finished 12/28/12 (except the washing). Yes, I'm often 1-2 weeks behind when it comes to sharing content. Sometimes more. But sometimes I really do post something the same day it happens. 
4. My poor skill at photography is not aided by the less than picturesque look of this winter. This are too bright, too stark, and I haven't a clue how to try to over come that. I've tried to edit the photos as best I can, but I know they're not the best. If anyone has tips on how to take better photos in these kinds of circumstances, please let me know - I need to learn! 


This one spent a lot of time hiding at the bottom of my to-do pile. It didn't even get mentioned here until several months after I started working on it. The poor little thing was seriously under appreciated for a long time - through no fault of its own. Every quilt I've worked on has moments where I second guess myself or wonder if I'm going about it completely wrong. Usually I just push past these moments, and usually they work out just fine. This quilt, and the other I started about the same time both got set aside just as I reached a major moment of doubt - and this doubt made it a real challenge to pick them up and start moving again.


I'm glad I did though. With a little bit more work, and some wonderful flannel, this went from something I didn't want to talk about to something I love.


This one is a little small, finishing at only about 40" square
Fabric: the top fabric all came from my stash (craigslist purchases), the flannel for the back was purchased just for this.
This was my first time binding in flannel, but it looks great. I expect it won't wear quite as nicely as other fabric might have, but I love the look and the additional softness.


This little quilt is joining the others in my quilt chest just waiting for a baby shower or baby announcement.

No comments:

Post a Comment