25 July 2013

Not Much Yet...


It doesn't look like much yet, but this is one of the reasons it's been so quiet around here. This is take two of four (plus) nights of limited free time spent trying to figure out the math for a block I want to make - and yes, I imagine there does have to be a faster and easier way to do it. When I started the process, I thought this would be straight forward and something I could easily sketch out longhand. Not so. It was much more complicated than I thought. I've moved away from paper and on to Excel spreadsheets or formulas.

I'm on attempt number three of the math looking right enough to try making a test block:

And this time it turns out I'm finally right!
There's more to it eventually, but it looks like the math for the problematic part has finally come together to work in my favor - which means it's almost time to start looking at cutting up the fabric I'm actually going to use (instead of using the scraps of fabrics I've been tempted to rehome).

I'm not ready to start on this in earnest yet. Not only do I need to finish this square to make sure there are no more surprises, I also want to get a few more of the in progress items crossed off before I really start on this one. That said, as frustrating as it has been to be doing this kind of math, at least it was something I could work on when my only down time in the day was far away from my sewing machine and supplies.

I'm afraid I'm letting this one out of the bag a little earlier than I should, but it's really the only thing I have lined up to share yet. So, more on this one later, but not for a few weeks.


1 comment:

  1. Your mommy should be so proud of you. ;) I know I am. Man, that's totally awesome.

    ReplyDelete