30 January 2014

Bunting Project

I've been working on using up some of my supply of vintage sheets. Turning some of them into pixel heart style quilts has been keeping me busy- patchwork keeps me really on my toes -but today I really wanted to try my hand on something that would give faster results.

I took a single large pillowcase that had previously avoided being cut up thanks to being more textured looking than the others I've been working on (the weave of the fabric is slightly more apparent than the others I've grouped) and used my rotary cutter to cut it into several triangles.
If I'd been clever, I would have turned the pillowcase inside out to cut the triangles so they would have been face to face. Since I wasn't, I had to flip each set before sewing them together. Using a wide quarter inch seam, l sewed two sides together then ironed  them, flipped them outside out and ironed again.

I did attempt to top stitch along the finished edges on one, The edges did look nicely finished, but my machine refused to feed the point. Newer or sturdier fabric might be able to handle the tug but this vintage fabric couldn't cope.

So, now I have a pile of triangles just waiting for me to find ribbon or bias tape to attach them to before I can call them finished. It's nothing like a quilt top - but I am loving having something more 'finished' to show for my time already. I still love quilting, but it can take so much time before I feel rewarded for my effort -- especially when working patchwork style. I'm off to search the stash and see if I've got the right finishing touches for these!

No comments:

Post a Comment