15 January 2014

Still Just Playing

I am still in love with the strange little scrappy x and + block I made, and still not certain what I can do to make it into something workable. I'd really like to see it pillow size, which will require the addition of a border to enlarge it a little more than the current 11.5 square. 

For right or wrong, I couldn't see using a very printed border, nor a solid one. But I found three purple options that fell somewhere between a print and a solid, and all of which seemed decent enough matches.

I'll have to find a pillow form - probably by taking apart an older one and seeing if I can re-size and re-fluff it a bit first - before I determine whether it needs another border or not. I suspect a quick border in something nearer the dark blue would be a nice finishing touch... but we'll see what's needed when there's a form to size to.

And since my scrappy collection grew a little during the making of this, I have started another starburst as well.
I do wish I'd swapped the purple/black/gold/white and the grey/teal/citron/white places. I thought from the prints that I was doing the right thing, but looking at the finished piece I would have been happier if the two citrons were farther apart rather than adjacent to each other. The scrappy block on point in the center was my own addition, and while it's not as cleanly made as I had hoped, I am pleased with the addition of something in the center. I'll lose a few points on the edges no matter what I do - but I'm toying with making a few more scrappy blocks like this. I'm not sure I could make an entire quilt out of several of these blocks, but a few scrappy ones set in a large field might work well... 

No comments:

Post a Comment