14 June 2015

Hedgehog

I think I forgot to come back and show my completely finished Hazel Hedgehog mini quilt.
I did an absolute minimal stitch in the stitch in the ditch kind of quilting around the outside of the hedgehog, as well as an outline around the face. If this mini quilt were going to be in use as something other than a wall hanging -- a pillow or quilt -- I would have quilted more heavily to ensure it would really hold up to washing, but I don't intend to wash this one -- famous last words? I hope not!

I pulled two scraps of binding from my stash, one of which happens to match the hedgehog body perfectly, and even happened to arrange them with green on the 'ground' and blue on the 'sky' so I'm feeling pretty pleased with myself.

The mistakes and fixes I made turned out not to be too noticeable -- hurrah!

For the sake of having the nursery looking a little more 'finished' when people were here for the baby shower, I hung the hedgehog and a few other mini quilts on the wall over the twin floor bed. It was great positioning --until we had to rearrange! One of our friends made a beautiful but massive toy chest for the baby's room. For the moment, we're keeping it in the 'headboard' area of the floor mattress (with two thick cushions between the mattress and the chest) and filling it with all the 'too big' baby clothes -- but I haven't been in to rearrange the mini quilt wall since we rearranged the furniture.

I'd probably better come up with a better way of hanging them too. Straight pins in the corners doesn't seem 'baby safe' and certainly isn't 'toddler safe' as we learned when the toy chest maker and his daughter came to visit!

No comments:

Post a Comment