15 June 2015

Quilting Without a Brain!


I really need to finish this new quilt up ASAP so I can get it in the mail, but it seems the faster I try to work the more behind I end up!

So far I've over-cut one fabric by double my needs -- which puts me at risk for running out of fabric -- and I made two sets of half square triangles instead of one set of HSTs and one set of coordinating triangles. Which means more of the same fabric is at risk of being wasted, as little triangles as well as little squares. Ugh! Brain -- turn back on!


This is what happens when I try to push myself instead of thinking through the entire project. It's also a risk when I'm making up my own directions instead of following a pattern or tutorial!

At least the HST blocks are looking very pretty. That almost makes up for the troubles I'm having. I'd better double check that I've really made a mistake before I do anything else. And maybe I'd better take a walk around the house or something to make sure I'm a little more awake this time around!

Later -- after a long walk! 

I have unpicked all the extra HST blocks and pieced them back into where they belong. Which is good. But there's bad news too. Yesterday's brain-not-working moment had me expecting 9" squares, but I'm actually ending up with closer to 6.5" squares. This makes more sense for my math -- but doesn't give me a very good outcome for the finished size.

Guess I'd better put together this large block before I get too worked up about how to border it out to a better size. I'll do what I can with what I've got, but if I absolutely have to go shopping again, it's only time and money -- and my own fault for not planning in advance as carefully as I should have.

No comments:

Post a Comment