25 June 2015

Ocean Top

I spent a few days trying to decide how to finish the top of my latest quilt, since the 'single block top' original idea didn't work out thanks to my very faulty math! There were a few options, from solid gray borders all around, to stripes, to trying to do an improvised medallion style finish.

It should come as no surprise that I did not go with the easiest finish -- which would have been the solid gray finish. I could have, I suppose. It would have been fastest and easiest, but it also felt like a compromise -- and not one I wanted to make for this project. So, no surprise, improvised medallion-inspired style it is.
Another long round of half square triangles, trimmed down to 2" squares.

The trimming and squaring up took hours -- especially since I had to take a break in the middle of it to go to urgent care* -- and I wish I had better results to show for that time. While things still aren't perfect, I'm still fairly happy with the outcome of the border.

So here's where I'm sitting right now:

So far, the top is just about 42 inches square. I feel like it needs another round of gray to finish it off, but think I might be best served to bind in gray instead of adding another 1.5" strip around the outside. I don't have enough fabric to do any more than that. For such a small addition, the binding might be just as good, and it would be a little easier and faster at this point.

As I've been working on the triangles and bricks, I've also been debating what kind of backing to make for this quilt. I could go scrappy and use the leftover jelly roll and charm pieces, as well as some of my mis-cut gray pieces. I have a few other batik style pieces in my stash that I could mix in with these charms, giving me something very scrappy but fairly coordinating. This might look good, but I worry it would be a challenge for basting and quilting -- a challenge I'm not sure I'm up to taking on right now.

I could also go with something that doesn't coordinate at all, maybe cars, the 'right' sports team (I do have some of that fabric I've been sitting on for this project, but now I'm not so sure it'll work), or something else that makes me think of my friend and/or her family...

Decisions, decisions.




* Urgent care visit was all about this lovely upper respiratory infection and conjunctivitis I've come down with. I was trying to ignore the cough, but once my eyes start acting up I am looking for medical attention immediately. So, a few days of antibiotics and eye drops and I hope to be good as new -- or at least as good as I can be at this point in the pregnancy... which I think is the point of 'I'm not ready but I'm so done with this!' Here's hoping I can recover from this sickness before baby decides it is time to get here. Even better if I can get a couple nights of actual sleep first too!

No comments:

Post a Comment