10 June 2015

Panda Quilt Top

I'm finally getting around to making something with my favorite of all the fabrics I picked out for the nursery.
I knew we were going to go with black and white mixed in with the flannel panda print, but when I sat down to start working on it I added several more black and white prints -- and a red/pink chevron that almost-matches the little red heart in the panda print. 

At my husband's request, rather than a simple block style border around the focal fabric, I went with disappearing nine-patch blocks made from the black/white and red fabrics. I actually way over cut my fabrics, so I may make a few more nine patches for the backing, just to use what I already cut.

The nine patch blocks were a little more time consuming than what I'd planned on, but I still managed to finish the top in one evening -- not bad at my current waddle of a speed! 

The layout of the patches around the border is mostly random. I tried not to have prints directly next to themselves, but otherwise I just pulled from the pile until I had the length of strip I needed for that particular side. 

I think I love it. 

I have some black and white check/gingham style fabric that I plan to bind it in -- though I might go with some of the red as binding as well. The brighter contrast might be fun, but I don't think I have enough to finish the whole quilt in red... We'll see. Next up is making a back and buying some more batting. I have so many scrappy pieces, I had hoped to use those up -- but some how none of them are the same material! I don't mind a scrappy batting if it's the same material, but mixing the types seems like I'm asking for trouble. Another trip to town for me... 


For the moment, it's hanging out on one of the very bare walls in the nursery room, but I want to get it finished and washed as soon as possible. 

1 comment: