26 June 2015

Oceans Back

I didn't feel like taking changes on the backing for this quilt, even though I have a lot of novelty patterns that make me think of this particular friend. Instead of going novelty, I decided to go with the coordinating scraps plus a large pieces of batik style fabric from my stash.
The entire thing badly needs ironed, which I'll be sure to do before I baste, but I wanted to get a photo of my progress immediately. Photos of progress help keep me motivated right now... and that's something I've got to use to my advantage -- especially since basting is not my favorite and not the easiest thing to do right now!
I can't tell you how many times I almost got rid of this big batik scrap because I could never imagine what I might use it for. Abstracts and batiks aren't really my style (or, they haven't been in the past) and the gray/brown/blue color scheme was a bit of a stumper as well. Fortunately, I never quite talked myself into giving it away -- because I think it is just about perfect for the back of the oceans quilt. The colors, pattern, and the splotchy aspect all seem perfect for something vaguely ocean inspired.

The scrappy top portion of the back came together quickly, and I really like the overall look, but I am a little worried the higher concentration of seams will make quilting a little more challenging. A good ironing and a pin heavy basting should help -- although I might see if I have enough iron/steam baste batting leftover as well...

It's my goal to get this basted either tonight or tomorrow, and quilted asap. I'm thinking simple line quilting, maybe a 'shattered' kind of look (random lines all the way across) or something else simple and easy. Then again, when do I take the path of quick and easy?

No comments:

Post a Comment