22 June 2015

More Ocean Quilt Progress

Things are coming along... kind of.
Turning the large triangles into squares this morning has probably been the smoothest part of building this quilt top so far. Since my little-triangle triangle was about 6.5 high/across, I used 7" squares cut in half for the solid half -- which turned out to be just about the perfect choice.
My layout plan got reworked part way through -- thanks cat.

If this had been for me, I'd have intentionally gone quite wonky (even working with unusual triangles instead of aiming for ninety-degree half-square style triangles) -- but I know wonky is not my friend's favorite look. I had hoped for -- and worked for -- more accuracy, but even when I pin as much as possible, things are just not lining up or staying square. I've had this problem a couple times in the past and I think it might be when I combine a lower-quality 'solid' with a higher quality fabric. If I had more time, I would start over, but at this point I am just going to have to embrace the imperfections, hope my friend can overlook them, and make it work.
So far, the 'finished' size is about 25" square -- but I'm going to be adding some borders to the outside of this to up it to at least 36" square. The question now is what to do...
  1. Mostly gray border, broken up with 1-2 jelly roll stripes (per side)
  2. Scrappy leftover jelly roll border -- make a large stripe out of 6 smaller stripes (per side)
  3. Combination border (mix the leftover jelly roll pieces with gray pieces)
  4. Build it out medallion style
  5. Something else??
I really like the idea of medallion style addition -- or even doing a gray border, then a small block border, then another gray border in a medallion style move -- but that's going to be a great deal more work, and at the rate this is 'working' I'm afraid that won't be a good choice for finishing this up nicely. 

Ugh. Back to the sketch book. I want to come up with something both nice and worth the effort but also something not too horrifically time consuming or frustrating -- especially given my current limited abilities! 

All those complaints aside, I have to say that when I glance up at that picture, I'm really pleased with the way the colors all work together. It makes me think of sea glass -- which was exactly what I wanted. Victory on one portion at least! 

No comments:

Post a Comment