27 June 2015

Random Reflections 2 of 2 Top Finished

I know I said I was going to put these two quilts away until after the baby stuff was ready -- but while the nursery was a complete disaster and my basting wall was covered with furniture that needed to be craigslisted, there wasn't much else I could think of to work on. It's also true that out current comforters are getting rather shabby, so these two quilts have been on my mind regularly. I know they won't get finished any time soon -- especially now that I know how challenging basting is for me right now -- but progress is progress!

I still wish I'd put a little more work into ensuring the top had more deep blues and greens and less whites. This one should have been color coded closer to the Oceans Quilt I've been working on all week. Well, it's not quite as I'd envisioned, but I'm certainly not unhappy with the finished top.
I had a hard time matching the seams up, but I did my best and it's just going to have to do this time around. If I make a pattern like this again, I really need to do it all at once or somehow ensure that I'm really locked into the same seam allowance all around. Having put some of these pieces together months ago, there is some variety in seam allowance that isn't ideal -- but I've gone back to keeping a piece of tape on my machine to remind me exactly where I want to be, so the newer seams are much better where they can be!

Below: Random Reflections 2 of 2 (for my husband)
Below: Random Reflections 1 of 2 (for me) 
While 2 of 2 might not look as blue/green/grey as I'd intended when setting out, comparing it against my 1 of 2, it does suddenly begin to look a lot more blue/grey and a lot less colorful! I'll also say, this year's grass is looking much happier and healthier, which might help. The 2 of 2 pictures are completely untouched in terms of color processing, and that grass looks much happier. I ought to take the two out and photograph them side by side for real comparison, but I have no idea where I'd find large enough to do that unless I lay them on the grass and send someone onto a roof or ladder for the photo!

I have the backing for mine (1 of 2), a great vintage sheet with massive floral print in just the right color scheme (I think) but I have no idea what I'm going to do for the backing on his (2 of 2). A large sheet would be the easiest option so I don't have to piece anything together, but I also need to consider something a little thicker for his backing so there's a little more longevity. The easiest option might be to initially back it with a quilt, but make a button on or snap on 'cover' out of something thicker. That would really increase longevity and make repairs a little easier... at least, I think it would...

I may look into spray basting these, but even that will require a space larger than I have, so I know the progress on these has ground to a stop once again. I also suspect these will be easier to work on when I can sit down for more than 20 minutes at a time!

It's taken more than a year to get this far, but hopefully by this time next year we'll be sleeping under them. That might be a little too optimistic... but I like to be optimistic sometimes!

No comments:

Post a Comment