16 September 2012

Bedroom Update

Our bedding has been in need of an update for a while - ever since the plastic snaps started popping off the duvet last winter. I debated trying to repair the snaps, until I realized there was also some damage to the fabric - damage I couldn't easily repair.


Between the growing damage spots and the widening gaps as more snaps got caught on our foot board, I knew it was only a matter of time before we would need to find a replacement duvet.

Nearly two years to the day of the first time I pulled our comforter out of its packaging, wrapped it in a duvet, and we spent our first night attempting to share a blanket (it didn't go well) - I found a replacement. Now to be perfectly fair, I don't love it. But the colors aren't bad, and the price was right, and I am really tired of getting my foot caught inside the torn duvet - so I plopped down my $15 and figured if nothing else, I bought myself another year or two of pressure free window shopping for something I like better.

So we're going from this:
(a wedding present we registered for and were very happy to get - though I'll admit I picked it with the thought that if the cat scratched it or messed it up in any way I wouldn't be crushed, unlike our other quilt which I have yet to use because I'm afraid he'll destroy it and I'll cry)

To this:

I don't love it. But I do $15-like-it. I like it too. I'm not great with change. I'm also not sure fall is the right time to swap out tans/oranges/grays for icy blue/white - but my husband thinks it'll be 'cooler.' I'm not quite sure whether he's talking about the color/look, or tricking his brain into thinking this will make the comforter less warm somehow.


The dark reverse surprised me when I took it out of the package. The colors above seem a little off to me, the dark looks brown in the image, but it's nearer to gray. And the blue is nearer the first picture (brighter) than this close up.

It's a big change, both in color and in the type of pattern, but at least this one hasn't got any holes for my feet to get stuck in. And it uses a button closure instead of plastic snaps. And the closure area is several inches nearer the center. I'm hopeful it'll at least be easier for us to sleep under. And I think the color difference will grow on me.

But at a $15 investment, I don't feel bad for already window shopping for this one's replacement. I can't decide if I want something with more texture or wilder colors. I've got time to figure it out.

I'm also planning to cut up the remains of the first one to use as future quilt fabric/backing. There's still a lot of good, soft, material that could be reused. I'm tempted to shelve some of the pieces of it for when I finally get around to making quilt/s for our bed. Hmm...  




As someone who slept under my Mom-made-me-a-'big-girl'-quilt from ages 4 to 14, my next quilt from age 14 to 18, and my next quilt (my high school graduation present) from 18 to 24 (and honestly, I'd still be using it now if it were the right size for my bed), I can't quite understand how quilting has turned me into someone who owns so many blankets - and wants to have so many more options when it comes to bedding. I'm beginning to think half the reason I want a guest room in our next place is so I can have the fun of constantly redecorating a bed without having to deal with my personal change-is-scary issues. 

No comments:

Post a Comment