12 September 2012

More Stars and Block Progress

Something about that title sounds almost patriotic.

I'm still seeking a name for this one, but I don't quite think Stars and Blocks fits the bill. Working with the fabric, I keep thinking of taffy or cotton candy. Not sure either of those are the right direction either.

Anyway.

I've been making some headway on both star blocks and black blocks.


A few early stars. I think I'm up to 10 now. I'm not sure when I'll stop. I don't want too many, but 10/110 seems either too many or too few. I'm leaning towards making somewhere between 15 and 20 stars, then just mixing them in randomly.


This one is one of my favorite plain blocks so far. I really like that extra dark streak of dye on the side. The random application of the various frame pieces results in some interesting blocks. Some of them aren't quite what I'd have done if I was taking the time to color match the frames, others are just delicious looking. I'm loving this. Which is good considering how many blocks I have yet to go!


The two basic blocks the quilt will be made of. I've been thinking of using either machine or hand quilting to add more stars in some of the empty blocks - but that'll be one of those if I have time and if I figure out how kinds of things. Nothing I'm tied in to doing. At least not until I see how the whole top comes together, and how much time I've got between finishing the top and the wedding.

I am, however, out of thread. I've been using up strange threads I got at a garage sale (all a quality I know, but strange amounts and colors). So far I've gone through the remains of two 300 yard-ers and one 250. So if I'm going to make progress without delving into the threads I'm saving for actual quilting, I guess I'd better head to the store and get a roll or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment