13 November 2012

Zombies?

I may never sleep again. 

"Flesh & Bone" by Jonathan Maberry, Rot & Ruin Book 3
But I'll be happy about it.

I like fantasy - I just don't really like vampires, werewolves, or zombies. Or being scared.

(My exception to the vampire rule is "Sunshine" by Robin McKinley - but I still have to be in the mood and start that at the beginning of a day off. I cannot read it after dark, even though I've been reading it for years.)

Up until "Rot & Ruin," I'd more or less managed to avoid zombies all together. Everything about that sounded too intense for me. Then, somehow I wound up with this book about zombies. And it was amazing. The amazing comes from Maberry, not zombies as a whole. But put them together? And I'm hooked. Even branching out into other zombie stories.

I read the second book, "Dust & Decay" after Thanksgiving dinner at my in-laws last year. Fortunately, most of them were distracted by the baby or the tv and didn't notice me shaking and crying by turns in the dining room.

Yesterday, I picked up "Flesh & Bone" - which the librarian had been kind enough to order at my query.

Today, it's going back. I started it at 9 pm. Despite my usual rule of sunlight makes scary books safer. I finished just after 1. And yes, I jumped every time the heater turned on or the cat moved. But it was totally worth it.

Now to find something to distract me from worrying over the characters until the fourth book comes out...

No comments:

Post a Comment