03 May 2013

Pinterest Challenge: Crock Pot BBQ Chicken

The Inspiration Recipe: Zesty Chicken BBQ at AllRecipes.com



Alterations:
  • Didn't add any brown sugar. I figured between me not liking things to be sweet (unless we're talking about a dessert) and the bbq sauce having sugar as a fairly prominent ingredient, there was really no need for the additional sweetness. 
  • Didn't measure anything. Went entirely by feel. 
  • Our chicken wasn't frozen.
  • Accidentally cooked for 12 hours on low instead of 6 hours on low. This did lead to a few dried out areas (where the sauce no longer covered the chicken), but otherwise everything seemed okay. 
  • Note to self: No more crock pot cooking on days that are double booked
Reactions: 
  • My husband, who dealt with the 12 hour chicken while I was wrapping up work things, immediately said it was amazing. He tried multiple times to get me to eat a bite right away, saying how good it was and that I'd really enjoy it. I was too tired. 
  • After a day of hanging out in the fridge, it reheated well and was still good. In fact, I think my husband is eating the left overs cold right now (three days after cooking). So, that's a pretty big winner over here. 
  • I'm not really sure the Italian dressing added much of anything to the overall flavor... But maybe I'd miss it if I hadn't included it. 
  • Oh, and it was plenty sweet without the brown sugar. Almost too sweet for my taste. We used Famous Dave's Texas Pit sauce, it's about the only bbq sauce I can stand. 


I'm exhausted. Between the 'I'm tired of snow but we need the moisture' and the 'I'm tired of working so many hours but I need the money,' April has been a difficult month and May looks to be more of the same. What is it about April that makes it such a hard month? I guess I ought to snuggle up with one of the April/May quilts and try to find the good points again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment