21 May 2013

Winning!

I am not lucky. I have never in my life won anything in a contest. These days I rarely even bother to click through and go to the trouble of entering one, not even for a chance at adorable fabric. When I saw something go by my facebook feed about a contest to win a package from one of my favorite authors (the incredible Marissa Meyer), I didn't bother clicking on it to even see how to enter.

So it came as a total surprise to me when I got an email telling me I'd won. After double checking just to make sure this wasn't a very cleverly targeted scam, I responded, and look what arrived today!

Look at the beauty!

(There's an adorable hoodie too, still in the box at the moment, since it's about 80 degrees in the house.)

And although this prize came to me completely free - it's going to work out for everyone involved. There's no way I can own only book two of a four part series. So, I'm off to buy a copy of book number one (hardbound if I can find one, because I like things to match). And in a year, and again in another, I'll be lining up to get coordinating copies of books three and four.

And here I have to put in a plug for my amazing husband, who completely understands why I can't stand the idea of having only one book in a series - and especially not 'out of order.' Occasionally I can have just the first book and rely on a library for the rest, but just a second or just a third? Not going to happen. It also helps that these books are amazing. He loved "Cinder" (book one) and has been waiting impatiently to get an audio book for "Scarlet." Now that I won't have to hurry to get it back to the library for the next person in line, I can take the time to read it to him. 

And since I'm gushing without filters today, I'm going to say, this is probably the best thing that's come from me joining Pinterest. My first introduction to Marissa Meyer's "Cinder" was through a picture of the cover art, a tiny description, and a release date someone shared on Pinterest. Cue an immediate repin and joining the wait list at the library for a chance at it. Best pin yet.

Seriously, I fully recommend both "Cinder" and "Scarlet." I'm utterly obsessed with fairy tales and retellings of fairy tales, so I'm a bit biased...  but... a cyborg Cinderella, robots, mind control, a prince caught in a political situation that could have ramifications for the entire planet, a deadly plague? What more could you want!? 

So, um... I might just skip turning on the sewing machine tonight in favor of starting my second read through of this (actually, I'm going to start it as soon as I'm done gushing over it here).





I suppose I should say that I was in no way asked to write about these books. I'm just super excited to have a copy of "Scarlet," and a better reason to buy "Cinder" than 'I want it!' Should I ever write a post I get compensated for (unlikely even if it were offered), I will say so clearly.  

No comments:

Post a Comment