07 May 2013

Semi-Update

I'm still picking away at a semi-sampler quilt. And I'm still more or less progressing without a plan - but now I'm completely out of the fabrics I was using! 

I thought I'd used the last of my scraps to size them up a little (so I can more easily cut them to a matching size) but as I was laying them out to iron it became very clear that there are some major size disparities. 

Here's my collection of little blocks so far: 


Since I'm out of fabric - except for a few bits of scraps left - anything I want to do at this point require buying new fabric. I've also got to decide how to make a layout that showcases 14 blocks... 16 would have been so much easier, but unless I do two of them quilt as I go, top stitching tiny scrappy pieces, I just don't think I can squeak out two more blocks...

But - How cute are they looking!?

Confession time: I have a least favorite. (Number 3) I don't have a favorite (I love 5, 6, 9, 10, 11, 13, and 14).

I may try to pull number 3 apart and rework it into something I like a little bit better. There's also a chance I'll pick another less loved block and either cut two or move them to the back (giving me only 12 to organize into a front that makes me happy).

Oh, I should mention: Number 11 was based off a tutorial for Spiderweb Blocks at SewMamaSew. Number 9 was based off directions for a block at Sister Of the Divide. I thought I had an inspiration for number 5 as well, but at the moment I'm not finding anything more specific than the Java Stars Quilt at Moda Bake Shop (which has been on my 'want to make list' for way too long). Number 8 was inspired by the amazing Everything Is Coming Up Rainbows quilt at Spotted Stone - though mine's not nearly as cute or well done! I think the others either came from some of the quilting books I've got stacking up around here or my continued love affair with wonky stars...

I've been a bit shy about sampler style quilts before, but I have to say, it's been a blast to explore some very different styles of blocks in a low commitment way. I'm kind of sad to think I'm at the end of this project - though I'm not sad enough to want to buy more fabric and keep going - at least not at the moment. There's still time for me to change my mind!


No comments:

Post a Comment