06 May 2013

Helping

Spring has been a wildly busy season at work. Nearly every day last month was booked for at least one job - and several have been double, even triple booked. The added hours of work have been great in many ways, and difficult in many ways.

Although body fatigue is certainly one of the most difficult things to deal with when we're this busy, what I feel worst about is the decrease in the time we spend with Momo. As an only pet, his options for things to do while we're away are fairly limited. We try to rotate through some toys and things for him to play with (or leaving out arrangements of boxes for him to get in to) but there's a notable difference in his attitude when we're away too many hours out of a day.

I don't find basting easy, even without Momo's help, but last night he was determined to 'help' me with this quilt.


For me, basting usually requires a great deal of crawling around on the floor. No different last night - but every time I sat down instead, I got a lap full of cat. Which was unusually affectionate for him.


It took a couple hours for me us to baste the whole thing, but eventually I wound up with a fully basted quilt. Only to wish I'd added an exterior border to make it a little larger. I figured rather than undo all my work at this point, I'd go ahead and get it quilted and then if I still want to make it a little larger, I'm fairly certain I can use some 'quilt as you go' methods to add an already basted/quilted border to the outside.


Look familiar? It should! Not only is this the full top of the Doodle Whack quilt I started working on around Christmas, it's the same fabric line I used for the Twin Quilts. I have been envisioning this one going over the love seat (because I try to disguise the red love seat in favor of my orange chairs), but now I'm not so sure it's going to be big enough. I ought to just make a slip cover for the love seat and be done with it!






No comments:

Post a Comment