23 May 2013

Pinterest Challenge: Pudding Poke Cake

Pinterest introduced me to this recipe: The Country Cook Oreo Pudding Poke Cake

But my attempt leaves a bit to be desired...


Hmm... Looks more like a 'no-poke' cake, doesn't it? Yeah. I didn't find a single one of my pokes where the pudding actually went into the cake. The pudding only sat long enough for me to put the whisk in the sink and then pull the cake out of the oven. But I noticed even as I was pouring it that it seemed too thick to really go into the holes. I tried to use a spatula to force it into the holes, but obviously that didn't work. So it was more like pudding frosting.

I guess I should have gone with a more intense chocolate cake; everyone who tried it wanted a stronger chocolate flavor. One of them said it should have been topped with chocolate ice cream, chocolate shell, then some hot fudge. Out of the six people I had over, one person refused to try it, three people ate one slice (but said they wouldn't eat another slice, even the next day), one person said they'd have seconds (but didn't), one person said they'd have seconds (and did).

Even more telling, we only ate half the cake the first night - and the rest is still sitting in my fridge. Not for long though, I think I'm going to chuck it today. On the third day, the pudding cracked and stopped looking even remotely appealing, and there's no use taking up that much room in the fridge with something we're clearly not going to eat.

If we try something similar again? More intense chocolate flavored cake to start, and either pour the pudding directly onto the cake with no wait time or intentionally make slightly liquid-y pudding. I don't think there's anything wrong with the recipe, but my ingredients didn't do what they should have, which was very disappointing.

Color me not impressed - mostly with my pudding making skills. On the other hand, now I have some milk (which we usually don't buy) and a box full of cookies (which we usually don't buy) that didn't get used as extra topping, so I can eat those instead. Not worth it... but I'm looking on the bright side.

No comments:

Post a Comment