17 May 2013

Pinterest Challenge: Smothered Burritos

I've been wanting to make these since the moment I saw the image on Pinterest. Seriously. I think I've even been dreaming about them.

The Inspiration Recipe: Chile Colorado Burritos at Food Pusher



Alterations:
  • I didn't have any beef bullion. Rather than running to the store, I just skipped it. Both times I've done this. 
  • The first time I used red chili sauce because I couldn't get any enchilada sauce. The second time, I used regular enchilada sauce. The right sauce makes a difference. 
  • When making the burrito, I include chopped green onion, black olives, refried beans, cilantro, and a little cheese along with the meat. Any leftover onions get thrown on top of the whole thing when it goes in for baking. 
Reactions: 
  • Major win. And I live in a town with a lot of good Mexican food. 
  • We've made this twice in three weeks now, and each time the smothered burritos are a huge hit.  
  • I think I need to start buying at least half-again as much sauce so we can do the smothered burritos twice out of one batch of meat. That's by far my preferred way to eat this, though my husband thinks it's equally good poured over a baked potato and topped with cheese. 

No comments:

Post a Comment