21 March 2012

Almost Successful Pumpkin Brownies

Did you know you can make cookies or muffins with only a can of pumpkin and a box of cake mix? I didn't, until Pinterest taught me this wicked trick. Since then, chocolate chip pumpkin cookies have become my go-to treat.

This morning I was craving something sweet, but I didn't have a box of cake mix. I did have brownie mix. So I thought I'd get a little experimental.

I like my brownies a little spicy, so in addition to the cinnamon, I added chili powder, ginger, and nutmeg.
No measuring, I just throw it in until it smells good.

Then add the can of pumpkin (about 15 oz) and stir until well combined.

 And then, because it seemed a little unfinished, a handful of chocolate chips.

 Mix again, then pour into a baking pan.
Looks good enough to eat already - at least to me!

Pop it in the oven according to the directions on the back of the brownie mix.

Now is when I hit my first bump in the road. After 15 minutes, it wasn't anywhere near done. After 30, the edges were done, but the center was still a little soft. At this point, I gave up and pulled it out.

The edges were delicious. The pumpkin flavor came through, as did the cinnamon and chili. The center was a little gooey. That didn't diminish the flavor, but even knowing there isn't any egg in the brownie, it was still difficult to eat that texture.

Lesson learned? Next time I'll try it in a muffin tin or as drop cookies instead.


No comments:

Post a Comment